As the mental health population in correctional facilities continues to increase, the burden of care and cost falls directly on the facility, and treatment for the mentally ill impacts the community at large. Risk management is a priority, and NaphCare recognizes that a strong mental health system is imperative. Our clinical and administrative mental health team works closely with local mental health agencies to effectively manage inmates and plan for their care after release.
NaphCare’s mental health program is built on a foundation of quality staff that focus on:
- Proactive identification of persons with suicidal or behavioral health issues through comprehensive mental health screenings,
- Continued monitoring,
- Rapid crisis intervention,
- Effective programming,
- Constant, clear and effective communication with facility security leadership and staff, and
- Collaboration with community mental health providers at discharge.
Using TechCare®, our corrections-specific EHR system, we electronically flag an inmate’s health record if his/her responses during intake indicate the need for additional mental healthcare. This means that we identify inmates with suicidal and homicidal tendencies, as well as acute and chronic behavioral health issues.
Alerts in the system prompt the clinical staff to take action, such as placing an inmate on suicide precautions, contacting custody about an issue, or assigning special housing. TechCare® also contains prompts to assist the interviewer in taking any indicated actions such as suicide watch, or urgent mental health referral based on the inmate’s responses. The mental health provider can access the inmate’s entire electronic health record when conducting an evaluation, or at any time the inmate is referred to the mental health program during his/her incarceration.
Additionally, if or when an inmate is transferred to another facility, his or her health record, containing mental health information, will be instantly available in TechCare®. This ensures continuity of care for inmates with a mental illness.
NaphCare uses telehealth services to enhance care at our client correctional facilities.
Telehealth can increase the level of on-site services we provide at our client facilities and ensure the availability of a provider to give consults and review tests and lab work whenever necessary. While cost savings is one benefit of telehealth, NaphCare also understands the benefit that telehealth provides to continuity of care. It improves communication between providers and patients by offering increased interactions and opportunities to discuss treatment.
Other benefits of telehealth include the following:
- Enhanced quality of care – Increases accessibility to specialty care and providers.
- Efficient treatment – Reduces the cost of off-site specialty services and aids cost savings by delivering care more efficiently.
- Decreased transportation cost – Reduces the number of off-site trips for specialty services, resulting in direct savings in transportation and security costs.
- Facilitates appointments – Increases kept appointments and frequency of contact with local and off-site providers while minimizing the risk for missed or delayed treatment.
- Meetings – Facilitates consultation meetings with providers, multi-facility education training, staff meetings that reduce travel time, in turn, saving time and money.
An added advantage to NaphCare’s telehealth program is the use of our EHR system, TechCare®. TechCare® blends perfectly with a telehealth program because the provider can view and communicate clearly with the patient, while also having simultaneous access to the patient’s complete medical record.